Speech-Language Therapist
Careers New Zealand
New Zealand
53d ago

Pay for speech-language therapists varies depending on experience.

  • Graduate speech-language therapists start on about $47,000 a year.
  • Experienced speech-language therapists may earn between $70,000 and $100,000.
  • Sources : District Health Board / PSA, Allied, Public Health and Technical 'Multi Employer Collective Agreement; and New Zealand Speech-

    language Therapists' Association.

    This information is a guide only. )

    What you will do

    Speech-language therapists may do some or all of the following :

  • assess and diagnose communication disorders such as stuttering or lisps
  • co-ordinate and plan treatments
  • help individuals learn to speak, move or communicate
  • lead group therapy sessions
  • help children and adults learn to swallow and eat
  • report on their clients
  • educate and advise clients and their families.
  • Skills and knowledge

    Speech-language therapists need to have :

  • knowledge of speech and language
  • knowledge of the human body and its physiology
  • understanding of medical conditions that can affect speech
  • knowledge of psychology and education theory, and child development and health
  • knowledge of community and family support services, and where to refer their clients.
  • Working conditions

    Speech-language therapists :

  • usually work flexible hours and may need to work longer hours to keep up with their caseloads
  • work in either a dedicated practice or on-site at locations such as schools, rest homes, hospitals or other private clinics.
  • Entry requirements

    To become a speech-language therapist you need to :

  • have a Bachelor's degree in Speech and Language Pathology (Hons) or Speech and Language Therapy (Hons)
  • complete a Master's degree in Speech and Language Pathology or Speech-Language Therapy Practice.
  • Speech-language therapy scholarships

    The Ministry of Education offers speech-language therapy scholarships to students who intend to work with children.

    Vulnerable Children Act

    The Vulnerable Children Act 2014 means that if you have certain serious convictions, you can’t be employed in a role where you are responsible for, or work alone with, children.

    Secondary education

    A tertiary entrance qualification is required to enter further training. Useful subjects include biology, chemistry, health, languages, te reo Māori and English.

    Personal requirements

    Speech-language therapists need to be :

  • patient and supportive
  • able to put people at ease
  • good communicators
  • able to work with people of all ages, cultural backgrounds and lifestyles.
  • Useful experience

    Experience with young children is useful.

    Physical requirements

    Speech-language therapists need to have clear speech and good hearing.


    Speech-language therapists need to be registered with the New Zealand Speech-Language Therapists' Association.

    My Email
    By clicking on "Continue", I give neuvoo consent to process my data and to send me email alerts, as detailed in neuvoo's Privacy Policy . I may withdraw my consent or unsubscribe at any time.
    Application form