AFFCO provides the world with New Zealand’s finest premium beef and lamb products for all to experience and enjoy. We serve over 80 markets globally, supported by an operation which includes twelve processing plants throughout New Zealand. We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced lawyer to join our executive leadership team to provide sound advice and guidance across the full spectrum of in-house legal matters. The role is based five minutes north of Hamilton at our head office in Horotiu.
This opportunity will suit a commercially astute lawyer who is skilled at delivering practical, solutions-focused legal advice. The brief is diverse and challenging across employment, corporate, commercial, investment, markets, dispute and governance matters. You will need to be confident coaching and managing a junior solicitor and dealing with a range of specialist advisors - including at times driving matters with external counsel. This will be an exceptionally rewarding role; you will have full responsibility and ownership of the delivery of legal advice, guidance and support to the business.
Key responsibilities include:
- Overseeing the full portfolio of legal matters for the company, delegating to in-house or external counsel as appropriate.
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating a wide variety of documents including but not limited to employment agreements, client service agreements, supplier contracts, court documents, letters, correspondence and advice notes.
- Appearing before the Employment Relations Authority, the Court and any specialist bodies or institutions as required.
- Liaison with and reporting to management, internal staff and external individuals and organisations on a wide range of legal, dispute and compliance matters.
- Keeping abreast of relevant regulatory and legislative requirements affecting the business.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A tertiary qualification at law (LLB).
- A current practising certificate issued by the New Zealand Law Society.
- Prior commercial and generalist law experience, and the ability to understand how changes in legislation will impact the Company
- A high level of work ethic and excellent time management.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- A high level of accuracy, attention to detail, and organisational skills.
If you believe that you are the right person to take on this challenging, varied and rewarding role then please apply today!