Technical Director, Wellington
Resn are looking for a full time Technical Director, to be based in our studio in Wellington, New Zealand.
You will have technically directed complex interactive projects and development teams with aplomb and zen-like calm, and are now ready for this senior management role.
You'll be working on the biggest and brightest international brands in global time zones (with a focus on APAC and USA). Your peerless technical management skills ensure that projects are completed to the highest standards, on time, within budget and with a smile on everyone's dials.
Your developer experience stack is full, both front-end and back-end, and you are as comfortable knee deep in code as you are in front of clients and helping your talented development team be even more talented.
You understand the importance of bringing experiences to life through code driven animations, transitions and little touches of class. You possess a deep understanding of the limitations of browsers and devices as you help the development team squeeze every drop of performance out of them.
This position is based at Resn’s studio in Wellington, New Zealand (bottom of the Earth) and may require some international travel from time to time.
- A key member of the Wellington management team.
- Lead front-end and back-end technology strategy, defining project technical requirements, assisting with technical planning across all projects and working closely with project leads to ensure production is on track and delivered on-time, on-budget, on-quality.
- Effectively manage development on multiple projects of various sizes, teams and technologies.
- Define and manage technical deliverables, and provide accurate project estimates, resource requests and allocations based on project requirements and budgeted scope.
- Oversee development team agile scrum process, hold regular status meetings and keep project teams well informed of changes within projects.
- Methodical planning of approaches to the complex problems of high-end experience development.
- Create reusable code, modules, libraries etc wherever possible, sharing and evolving these with the development team.
- Work closely with clients to develop appropriate technical strategies and solutions, manage client’s technical expectations and ensure projects meet client goals.
- Manage client interaction on technical issues while developing long-term client and partner relationships and managing escalation issues.
- Responsible for ensuring that correct technology processes are employed and followed by the project team (eg. release and QA planning, issue management, load/performance testing, deployment planning).
- Develop and maintain project technical requirements specifications and project technical architecture documents.
- Serve as the primary technical contact for third-party vendors, server-side services and back-end suppliers, identifying and documenting integration points with third party solutions to manage risk accordingly.
- Manage the recruitment, growth, evolution and performance of the development team.
- Responsible for developing a strong network of Technical suppliers to enable rapid scaling.
- Be a lynchpin in Resn’s new business response team, identifying and chasing opportunities, coordinating technical responses in pitches and expanding existing projects.
- Coordination between Wellington and Resn’s other global studios and sales teams.
- Participate in strategic and creative collaboration between our teams and clients.
Skills and Experience
- 7+ years of technical management or senior development experience. Solid creative work, particularly work with forward thinking production companies / advertising agencies / brands, is HIGHLY desirable. We rate experience, attitude, and common sense over formal qualifications.
- Previously held Technical Director roles.
- Experience working on large and complex interactive projects with multidisciplinary creative and technical teams.
- Experience with short production timelines, hard deadlines, and moving targets.
- Thorough understanding of hosting and domain setup and management, network infrastructures and protocols, web security, server-side architectures and back-end strategies for a wide variety of situations, with familiarity with AWS and GCP.
- Setting up and maintaining development and deployment pipelines, including familiarity with Webpack, Rollup, npm, gulp, Yarn and Bitbucket Pipelines.
- Expert use of version control systems, formal browser testing, frameworks and libraries.
- Thorough experience with web development practices, design patterns and technical architecture development.
- Proficiency implementing development management methodologies such as Agile Sprints using process tools including Trello.
- A third eye necessary for reading clients and team members, allowing you to tailor your management and communication approach to suit their needs.
- Fantastic written and verbal communication skills.
- An obsession for detail.
- The ability to maintain composure and focus when the escalating demands of work rear up like a rampant wildebeest.
- Unbounding optimism and the desire to achieve the impossible!
- Experience with Three.js / GLSL / React Native / Unity.
- Any other visually driven development languages.
- Experience developing browser based games.
- Experience with animation and 3D graphics.
Check us out
Powered by JazzHR