POSITION : Business Risk and Procurement Manager
REPORTS TO : Executive Manager - Corporate Services
To ensure the Council’s risk management and procurement strategies are in place and
the associated systems, processes and administrative functions are operating effectively
whilst in-line with relevant internal and external policies, regulations and legal frameworks.
corporate efficiency projects.
and operating effectively to support the risk and procurement initiatives
manner, and that these are reviewed and undated regularly.
1. Responsible to the Executive Manager Corporate Services for the ongoing
development and review of Council’s Risk Management strategy and register.
2. Report to Executive Manager Corporate Services and the Audit and Risk Committee
in accordance with the Risk Management Policy.
3. Co-ordinate the internal audit programme and facilitate internal reviews.
4. Manage action items and key deliverables in relation to internal audits and Audit and
5. Develop, maintain and enhance Council’s procurement policy and purchasing
guidelines. Responsible for the end-to-end process of the procurement strategy,
including implementation of the strategy and monitor compliance of the procurement
6. Provide training and support to staff on the procurement procedures.
7. Administer Councils policies and claims, including the review of insurance policies to
ensure adequate insurance cover is in place as per appropriate schedules.
8. Managing Corporate Services vehicle fleet, including fleet purchasing, selling, and
maintenance and reporting from ERoads and U Book it.
9. Assess and evaluate existing asset management practices to identify opportunities
10. Monitor and evaluate Contracts for Services and maintain Council’s contract register.
11. Maintain Council’s policy register and monitor compliance of the policies including
12. Conduct regular quality reviews and provide recommendations and advice on
opportunities for improvement in relation to corporate asset management and
13. Support Corporate Services in managing the implementation of processes and
supporting systems aligned to core functionality.
14. Undertaking such other duties as may be directed from time-to-time by the Executive
Manager - Corporate Services.
1. An up-to-date risk strategy is in place and regularly reviewed to ensure it remains fit
2. Any change to council’s risk profile is reported to the Executive Team and Audit and
Risk Committee, including the effectiveness of stated mitigations.
3. To ensure the agreed internal audit programme is completed as agreed, and any
variances notified to the Executive Team as soon as practical.
4. An end-to-end procurement strategy is implemented, monitored and any breaches
reported to the Executive Team. Staff are trained in the procurement policy and are
fully aware of the procurement process.
5. A full contract register is in place and monitored so key personnel are advised when
renewable contracts expire.
6. Council is well supported to manage its vehicle fleet, and associated programmes
ERoads and U Book It).
7. Insurances are renewed annually and include adequate coverage. All insurance
claims are managed in a timely manner.
8. The policy register is up-to-date, and any required updates notified to the relevant
staff member / group.
9. Support to the Corporate Services team to ensure their processes and systems for
reporting are working well. Any delegated controls are completed within agreed
Makes decisions within the authority delegated by the Executive Manager - Corporate
Audit New Zealand Chief Executive Officer
Other external / internal Auditors Executive Manager - Corporate Services
Insurance Broker / Provider Executive Team
Other Local Authorities Audit and Risk Committee
Council and Community Boards All Staff
ERoads U Book It
MBIE of Government Purchasing Team
Suppliers of Goods & Services to Council
PERSONAL QUALITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
Experience / Knowledge
Key Competencies for Performance Development
Customer Focus : Commitment to meeting the needs of
anyone they work for and with, including
Job Knowledge : Have the knowledge and skills to perform
the requirements of the position
Communication : Use written and verbal language and style
appropriate to the audience and context
Teamwork : Work constructively with people as a team
member to achieve a common goal
Dependability and Commitment : Reliable and dedicated to achieving results
Continuous Improvement : Adjusts to change and different
perspectives, thinks proactively, pursues
opportunities and take appropriate action
Organising for Results : Ensures work is completed effectively and
within agreed deadlines
Leadership : Creates a clear direction, inspires a shared
commitment and leads by example
Developing and Managing Builds an environment that is focused on
Performance enhancing the skills and performance of
individuals and teams
CORPORATE VALUES PROPOSITION